Flu – did you know…
- Annual flu viruses (not including flu pandemics) infect Americans 20% 20%
- Missed days from work 20% 20%
- Did you know if you take Tamiflu within 24 hours of beginning to feel ill, you can shorten the time you are sick with flu?
- Did you know that there are two kinds of flu, Flu A, which is what is most common in the winter and Flu B which is around all the time?
- Did you know that as many as 170 children a year die of flu in the US?
- Did you know 85% of flu deaths occur in older adults?
- Did you know annual flu viruses (not including flu pandemics) infect up to 20% of Americans, put 200,000 in the hospital with flu-related complications, and kill about 36,000 people?
- Did you know that 20% of missed days from work are due to the flu?
- Did you know the correct phrase is “feed a cold, starve a fever?” and that you should not follow that advice at all?
- While chicken soup can’t cure a flu or cold, it can reduce inflammation associated with the flu, and make you feel better.
- Flu viruses can live up to 48 hours on hard, nonporous surfaces such as stainless steel and up to 12 hours on cloth and tissues.
- It does help to wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough.
- Unfortunately, wearing a face mask does not prevent you from getting the flu.
Individuals must be at least 19 years of age or older to join us in a study.